The United Way Foundation of Hancock County has established a four-year renewable $2,000 scholarship (maximum of $8,000) as a memorial to the generosity of Steven and Doris Secor. It is awarded to a high school senior in Hancock County who has a 3.5 grade point average or higher and plans to attend an accredited institution of higher learning, full time, to pursue any undergraduate field of study in the subsequent academic year.
The candidate must exhibit a strong emphasis on:
These components will be evaluated through the application and the required letter of recommendation.
It is suggested that you complete and gather all items before filling out the electronic application, as you cannot save and return. The application can only be completed digitally; no paper applications will be accepted.
- Residence: Must be a high school senior residing in Hancock County who plans to attend, full time, in the subsequent academic year, an accredited institution of higher learning, to pursue any undergraduate field of study.
- Academic Consideration: Grade point average must be at or above 3.5 on a 4-point scale.
- Volunteer/Extracurricular Involvement: Scholarship candidates must exhibit a strong and diverse emphasis on community service, leadership and character.
Students related to anyone on the Secor Scholarship Selection Committee or United Way of Hancock County paid staff are not eligible to apply.
- Essay: Please prepare a short essay of 500 words or less titled "Why does community service matter to me?"
- High School Transcript: If you do not have access to your transcript electronically, please have your guidance counselor email it to email@example.com with the subject line: "(Name) - Transcript"
- Activity and Community Service Log: Please provide a list of all extracurricular activities and involvements. This should include volunteer activities, sports, employment, school clubs, church activities, etc.
- Letter of Reference: In addition to completing your application, you'll need to provide contact information for an individual who can provide a letter of reference that speaks to either your community service activities, your character or your leadership skills. References may include coaches, job supervisors, teachers, church leaders, etc.
Timeline & Instructions:
The scholarship application will open Dec. 11, 2023, and must be submitted by 11:59PM Jan. 15, 2024.
Once submitted, you should receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive this confirmation or to verify that it was received, contact Brenna Griteman at 419-423-1432 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide the name of your reference, along with their email address. United Way staff will contact this individual and will provide them instructions on how to submit their reference letter.